Friday, October 23, 2009

Apathy Series

So there's this series of Visual Novels that I'd like to introduce. They've never been translated to English, but from what I've seen of them and what I have been able to play of them, I've been lead to believe that they're brilliant.

One day I was innocently trying to ID eroge cg as I often do when I came across a blog containing this picture and the caption "MiColle's Arai-san's 'Nice Smile☆'----Too cute! lololol" in Japanese.

ミッコレでの荒井さんの ナイス・スマイル☆ ----可愛すぎるwwwww

This image fascinated me greatly. For one thing, the art style is eerily flat and non-revealing yet detailed and proportional, and the expression on Arai's face is incredible. After much searching, I found that the game in question is called Midnight Collection, and is a collection of horror stories presented in Visual Novel form. It comes from a set of games sharing the same characters and is called the 'Apathy' series. The series started with the 1995 game 'Gakkou de Atta Kowai Hanashi'(lit. A scary story that was/happened at school school) for the super nintendo and has had several releases. The Visual Novel Database shows 4 games, but Japanese Wikipedia shows a couple more. After scouring Youtube for videos of gameplay or fan videos I came across a couple videos which continue to fascinate me. One of my main purposes of this post is to shows those videos to you, but I also hope to introduce you to the series, and perhaps also drive up demand for a translation of the series, by however little. In all honesty, games like this motivate me to study Japanese in my spare time.




1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to future interest in this. After all, this blog has such a high readership, right? Right?

    ReplyDelete